Building Community for a Sustainable Creative Life, with Sharon Louden
In this four-part online workshop series Sharon Louden will offer visual artists strategies for building a sustainable career and creative life, especially in this ever-changing time of uncertainty. Louden will share the expertise she has gained through collaborations and conversations with gallery owners, museum professionals, critics, curators, and others in different art communities.
Louden draws on examples and models from the front lines of the visual arts landscape collected on two extensive book tours, daily conversations and interactions, as well as a long career as an educator and leader.
The workshop series is specifically designed to empower artists, demonstrate pragmatic approaches to sustaining a creative life, and grow relationships into communities. This timely workshop applies the artist’s ability to think outside the box and creatively problem-solve real world issues facing all professionals as they navigate their place in the art ecosystem.
Content will include:
- Sharing specific examples of what artists and arts professionals are doing to survive, create, and thrive
- Best practices for building a community of artists online
- Methodologies to create opportunities and work together during and post-COVID
- Questioning how to understand the ever changing “artworld” as we know it now
- How to collaborate with museums, nonprofits and other arts organizations
- Approaching arts professionals now without a referral
- Exploring what a “post-exhibition” world can look like
In addition, there will be multiple touch-points of correspondence between Sharon and participants throughout the four-week duration that will include extensive sharing of documents and answering of questions. In between these sessions, participants will have access to an online forum where they can stay in touch, share information and resources, and build community outside of the class sessions.
- Part 1: Monday, March 8, 7-8:30pm ET
- Part 2: Monday, March 15, 7-8:30pm ET
- Part 3: Monday, March 22, 7-8:30pm ET
- Part 4: Monday, March 29, 7-8:30pm ET
Additional one-on-one consultations
After the workshop series concludes, participants will be given the opportunity to sign up for an additional one-on-one consultation with Sharon Louden where she can answer questions specific to each artist’s situation. Consultations are 45-minutes long and take place by phone (or zoom if you are outside of the US). The price is $90. Sharon will make 15 or more sessions available to those who attend the workshop.
This online workshop series will be recorded. The recordings will be shared with all registered participants after the workshop concludes, regardless of whether a participant attends the live workshop. The recordings will be available online to registrants indefinitely; they are not available for download.