Creative Capital’s Taller professional para artistas (taller) is a free four-month career development program for Spanish-speaking Latinx artists in New York City. The program introduces artists of all disciplines to strategic planning, financial, fundraising, and promotion skills and tools, building the capacity of each artist to reach their creative goals, strengthen their communities, and build thriving careers. It will also address the challenges faced by Latinx artists working in multiple cultural and linguistic contexts in New York City, while fostering a supportive peer community of artists advocating for themselves and each other.
Taller professional para artistas
The program is co-hosted by Casita Maria, and will include workshops at Creative Capital in Lower Manhattan and Casita Maria Center for Arts & Education in the South Bronx taking place from October 2018 to January 2019. This program is offered free to accepted artists thanks to support from The New York Community Trust.
What will the program cover?
Participating artists will learn:
- How to use strategic planning and goal-setting in your life and career
- Strategies for balancing time and money
- How to create and use a business plan
- Interpersonal verbal communications for a variety of situations, including negotiations and “elevator pitches”
- Strategies for fundraising and generating revenue, including how to partner with venues, donors, and funders
- How to determine and communicate the real cost of your work for budgets and grant proposals
- How to identify and reach new audiences through targeted marketing and networking
- Opportunities and tips for navigating international markets and international collaborations
- Tools for addressing the challenges of working across multiple cultural contexts
- Strategies for self-advocacy and self-care
What is the program schedule?
Accepted artists agree to participate in all of the following program components:
- October 10, 2018 6:30pm-9:30pm at Casita Maria (South Bronx) Workshop #1
- November 7, 2018 6:30pm-9:30pm at Creative Capital (lower Manhattan) Workshop #2
- December 5, 6:30pm-9:30pm at Casita Maria (South Bronx) Workshop #3
- January 23, 2019 6:30pm-9:30pm at Creative Capital (lower Manhattan) Workshop #4
- Individual and small group work 30 minutes per week for the duration of the program
- One or two individual consultation session with workshop leaders
All workshops are provided free of charge to accepted artists. Dinner will be provided at each workshop.
In addition, participants will be invited to a final convening to take place in 2020, date to be determined.
Who will be selected?
Up to 24 artists will be chosen based on the quality of their work, a demonstrated readiness to enter a new phase of growth in their artistic careers, and their eagerness to contribute to the workshop group. We are committed to diversity in all of its forms including but not limited to ability, age, education, ethnicity, gender, geography, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and experiences. Priority will be given to Bronx-based artists.
Selections will be made via panel in September and notifications of acceptance will be sent the week of September 24, 2018. The program will be repeated in 2019 in other boroughs. Details will be available in spring 2019.
Taller was conceived and is led by Creative Capital Awardee Ela Troyano. Troyano is an interdisciplinary artist born in Cuba and based in New York City. Throughout her 35-year career, her films and performances have straddled the worlds of documentary and fiction, installation and live action. Troyano has coached artists since 2001 and has led workshops since 2003, and was instrumental in creating artist point-of-view content for Creative Capital’s Strategic Planning curriculum. She also developed Taller and has presented each workshop since 2010.
There will be additional workshop presenters and guests.