Program News: Arts Writers Grant Program 2015 Grant Open for Submissions
April 21, 2015
2015 Grant Open for Submissions
Deadline: May 21, 2015
Apply online at artswriters.org
The Creative Capital | Warhol Foundation Arts Writers Grant Program supports writers whose work addresses contemporary visual art through project-based grants, ranging from $15,000 to $50,000, issued directly to twenty individual authors a year. The program was founded in recognition of both the financially precarious situation of arts writers and their indispensable contribution to a vital artistic culture. The Arts Writers Grant Program aims to support the broad spectrum of writing on contemporary visual art, from general-audience criticism to academic scholarship.
Writers who meet the program's eligibility requirements are invited to apply in the following categories:
- New and Alternative Media
- Short-Form Writing
Through all its grants, the Arts Writers Grant Program aims to honor and encourage writing about art
- that is rigorous, passionate, eloquent and precise;
- in which a keen engagement with the present is infused with an appreciation of the historical;
- that is neither afraid to take a stand nor content to deliver authoritative pronouncements, but serves rather to pose questions and generate new possibilities for thinking about, seeing and making art;
- that is sensitive to both the importance and difficulty of situating aesthetic objects within their broader social and political contexts;
- that does not dilute or sidestep complex ideas but renders accessible their meaning and value;
- that creatively challenges the limits of existing conventions, without valorizing novelty as an end in itself.
Due to legal constraints, the Arts Writers Grant Program can only fund U.S. citizens, permanent residents of the United States and holders of O-1 visas. For additional eligibility requirements, read the full grant guidelines.
For news on Arts Writers grantees, follow the program on Twitter.
Art Writing Workshop: In partnership with the International Association of Art Critics/USA Section, the Arts Writers Grant Program offers ten select applicants consultations with leading art critics. For more information visit artswriters.org.
The Arts Writers Grant Program is funded by The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts and administered by Creative Capital.Back to Listing